It is not necessary to throw your shower curtains if they can still be used. Here are some simple steps on how to wash your shower curtains using a washing machine. Remember, before doing anything to your shower curtains, read the label first for care instructions and warnings.
1. First, spot clean your shower curtain by using a spray bottle filled with a 1:1 solution of water and white vinegar. Spray the moldy areas and scrub thoroughly until the dirt and soap scum disappears.
2. Once spot cleaning has been done, take off the shower curtain and place it in the washing machine. Add to the load, two or three towels to prevent the shower curtain from tearing.
3. You can use either warm or cold water but not hot water as it may possibly melt your shower curtain if it is made of plastic. Add equal amounts of detergent and baking soda (about 1/4 cup) and set the washing machine to a gentle cycle.
4. As your shower curtains are being washed, get the curtains hooks or rings and clean them. Immerse them for a while in a bowl containing a solution of white vinegar and water in equal amounts. Rinse and let them dry.
5. Once done washing the shower curtain, add about a cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle to prevent the growth and spread of mold and mildew.
6. At the end of the rinse cycle, remove the shower curtain from the washing machine, stretch it out completely and hang it on its rod to dry. Never place your shower curtain in the dryer.