My husband is right though, as I've read. Overwashing denim can easily fade and tear the material. Denims can be washed after 4 or 5 wears. However, for me, this only applies if the jeans aren't heavily soiled.
I have found Sarah Jio's When-to-Wash-It Handbook on RealSimple.com very interesting. It's a laundry guide discussing how often one should wash commonly used summer clothing as listed below.
- Bras - after 3 to 4 wears
- Jeans - after 4 to 5 wears
- Dress Pants - after 4 to 5 wears
- Jackets and Blazers - after 5 to 6 wears
- Khaki Shorts and Pants - after 2 to 3 wears
- Pajamas - after 3 to 4 wears
- Skirts - after 4 to 5 wears
- Swimsuits - after every wear
- Tops and Dresses - after 1 to 3 wears
- T-Shirts, Tanks, and Camisoles - after every wear.